Teesta River at Kalimpong has become one of the most popular hotspots of River Rafting in eastern India. It starts from Beni, the confluence of rivers Teesta and Rangeet provides the major base of rafting.
Teesta Rivers being the main river rafting routes are virtually inaccessible during the winters. The Teesta is one of the few rivers where river rafting is confined to the winter months, between October and April.
GRADE 1: Easy and small waves.
GRADE 2: Moderate difficulty with clear passages.
GRADE 3: Difficult, high irregular waves, narrow passages – require precise maneuvering.
GRADE 4: Difficult with powerful waves. Very precise maneuvering required.
GRADE 5: Extremely difficult, violent and highly congested.
- Clients are requested to sign the assumption of risk and release bond before the trip.
- All foreign clients have to carry their passport and visa, which will be registered at the Teesta Bridge & Rangpo.
- Persons suffering from weak heart conditions, epilepsy, expecting mothers and those with serious ailments are not permitted to go rafting.
- Alcohol is not permitted at least 6 hours prior to the river trip.
- Age limit is 8 years except the float trips where it is relaxed to 5 years.
- Non swimmers are welcome; you may be restricted to certain section of the river, on the advice of the river guide or trip leader.
- Dry clothes.
- Extra pair of sneakers, sandals and shoes.
- Sun cap and sun glasses.
- Half pants, T-shirts and Swim Suit.
- Water Bottle.
- Sun tan / Sun block lotion.
River rafting agencies
Denzong Leisure (P) Ltd
BIGFOOT Treks & Adventures (P) Ltd, Upper Chebo Busty, Kalimpong
Phone: (+91) 3552 256685
Photo Courtesy: Flickr/Sharat Kolke and Asim Shah 2008