Chintamoni Kar Bird Sanctuary is situated at Kolkata near Narendrapur Ramkrishna Mission. This is also known as Kayaler Bagan. This is place is also good for Butterfly & Insect watching. Those people are like to do macro photography, they will get a heaven for sure. This site was recognized as a sanctuary in the year 1982 and renamed as Narendrapur Wildlife Sanctuary on September 8, 2004. However, since 2005, the sanctuary was finally named as Chintamani Kar Bird Sanctuary.
Sanctuary hours: 7:00 am to 4:00 pm
Admission Fees: Rs. 50 per head
How to Reach
Route 1: From Howrah Station Need to take Garia(S-5,S-6,AS-5,AC6) / Narendrapur Bound Buses. Those will take Garia Bound Buses,they need to take Auto For location Narendrapur Rathtala . From The stop They need to Take 300m walk, & they Will Reach The Destination.
Route 2: From Howrah Station can take the Jadavpur 8B Bound buses (E-1) , From 8B they Need ta take the Garia More bound Auto. From Garia More need to take Auto For location Narendrapur Rathtala . From The stop They need to Take 300m walk, & they Will Reach The Destination.
Route 3: Get any bus towards Baruipur from EB Bypass and get down at Rath Tala more. OR From Garia take any auto towards Baruipur and get down at Rath Tala more stoppage.
Chintamani Kar Bird sanctuary is the home of Common Hawk Cuckoo, Streak-throated Woodpecker, Emerald Dove, Crested Serpent Eagle, White-throated Fantail and Large-tailed Nightjar and many more.
Some rare species include Tickell’s Thrush, Slaty-legged Crake, Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker, Scaly Thrush, Little Spiderhunter, Grey-headed Fish Eagle and Blue-throated Flycatcher. Moreover, the sanctuary is also a home to a number of small wildlife, like civet cat, jungle cat, jackal, monitor lizard and others.
Since the site of the sanctuary was an abandoned orchard, the place is also dotted with a number of trees of coconut palm, jackfruit, guava, tamarind, ficus and others.
This is place is also good for Butterfly & Insect watching.
Do’s and Dont’s
- Do carry odomos mosquito gel or something similar in winter time.
- Do not litter or carry plastic inside the area.
- Do observe silence. Carrying or playing transistors or loud musical equipment inside the sanctuary is prohibited.
- Do not us the sanctuary as a picnic spot-it has been created to preserve and observe Nature.
- Do keep to the trails. It is unsafe to move into the overgrown areas.
- Do keep your mobile phones in ‘Silent mode’ when inside the Sanctuary.
- In no way disturb the birds or other wildlife by any act which include approaching near the nests, chasing birds for photography etc.
There are no lodging facilities at the Bird Sanctuary. It is best for day trips and it is preferable to take your own food.
- Science City- 14.4km, 31 min drive
- Nicco Park- 21.7km, 48 min drive
- Esplanade- 19.3km, 1hr drive